||VMware Workstation – a program for virtualizing systems. This product is a powerful solution for software developers and system administrators who create and test fully-integrated network applications of a server class operating in various environments. The unique technology VMware MultipleWorlds allows you to isolate operating systems and applications within the created virtual machines, and each virtual machine has a standard x86 computer with its own processor and memory.
With this solution, you can run development, testing, debugging and launching multi-level browser applications on one computer, use new operating systems and legacy applications on one computer, install new or update existing operating systems without performing partition operations and rebooting the computer.
The new platform offers advanced capabilities for application developers, quality control engineers, sales professionals for technology solutions and IT administrators. One of the most notable innovations of the package VMware Workstation 7 is the expanded support for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. To display the status of virtual machines, Flip 3D and Aero Peek functions implemented in the Windows 7 interface are now fully used. The VMware Workstation 7 package was the first product with full support for the Aero graphics shell in Windows 7 systems. The list of 3D applications based on DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 and OpenGL 2.1, which can be run in Windows virtual machines.
• Simultaneous launch of several guest operating systems on one computer
• Running the virtual machine in the desktop windows of the main operating system and full screen
• Installing virtual machines without re-partitioning the disks
• Launch the already installed OS on the computer without reinstalling or re-configuring them
• Run Windows operating system applications on a Linux computer and vice versa.
• Create and test applications simultaneously for different systems
• Run unprotected applications without the risk of disrupting the stable operation of the system or losing critical data
• Sharing files and applications with different virtual machines by using a virtual network
• Running client-server and web-applications on one PC
• Run several virtual computers on one PC and simulate the operation of the local network
Updated virtualized hardware:
• Improved display technology, which led to improvements in the Unity mode (skipping guest applications in host, when they work as native host applications), and systems with multiple video outputs;
• Guest OS can allocate up to 64GB of RAM;
• For guest OS Windows 7 and higher, HD Audio codec (based on Realtek ACL888) with 7.1 audio support is now emulated;
• For guest OS Linux 2.6.35 and higher, it is possible to use USB3 ports in the guest system. This feature does not work in Windows until the release of Windows 8, which will contain native USB3 driver;
• Added support for sharing Bluetooth devices in guest Windows OS, but you can not flip audio stream, mouse and keyboard;
• Support for virtualization of virtual VT-X / EPT or AMD-V / RVI virtualization is added to the guest environment, so vSphere can be started as a guest OS (including version 5).
Updated user interface:
• The Favorites panel has been replaced with a virtual machine library;
• Added live preview of running guest OS, as well as a page with a summary folder, which makes it easier to manage a group of guest OS;
• The functionality of the full-screen mode panel has been updated and expanded, so the “Quick Switch” mode has been removed.
Removed so-called “VM Teams”:
• The “teams” mode has been turned into a new mode of folders (sets) of virtual machines;
• For the virtual machine folder, you can now limit the bandwidth of network adapters;
• In the “folders” tab, you can select several virtual machines at the same time and send them all the commands to turn on or off;
• In the global settings of the program, you can set the interval through which virtual machines will be started (to prevent too much simultaneous loading);
• Using VMnets, folders can be placed on different network segments.